What is it?
This group allows green fuse trained funeral celebrants to share information, questions, opinions, calls for support and organise gatherings.
As of January 2016 there were 180 members with an average of about 60 posts/month.
Topics included such things as: What books do we all find useful? / Pagan funeral / Baby funerals – use of curtains / Weddings / Family discord / Inspiration for a feisty grandma / Books on suicide / Druid ceremony / Using a tablet at a service / Scripts, sharing and confidentiality.
How to join?
If you have received an invitation to join, follow these instructions.
Note: you do NOT need to create gmail address, if you don’t already have one and want to use your own email address.
We will send you an invitation once you have attended the first part of the Funeral Celebrancy course.
Send an email: simply send a normal email to email@example.com and it will go to the entire group
Reply to an email: simply click ‘Reply’ and it will go to the whole group
Alternatively (or if your email system doesn’t support the above) you can go to the actual Google group page on the internet and from there send an email (start a new topic) or reply to an existing email (post).
Reply to just one person: If at any point you want a ‘private’ conversation with just one member don’t simply ‘reply’ to a Google group message (cos then everyone gets a copy). Instead reply (or create a new email) and then replace the email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) with that member’s email (you’ll find it in the header (top) of the email).
Posts and Topics explained
Emails are called ‘Posts’ in the Google group and are organised into ‘Topics’ (a bit like folders).
You can think of a ‘Topic’ as “a conversation with questions and replies and contributions”, all linked or ‘threaded’ together (hence the jargon word ‘threads’) under the Topic name.
The Topic name is what you see in the Subject line of your email.
Guidelines for using the Group
The following guidelines will help our conversations:
- Only “Reply” to existing messages if your message is related to the Topic/Subject. If you change the Topic/Subject for an existing email it will be hidden within the original Topic. It’s only the original Topic that shows up when you’re searching through old Topics
- So, when you want to send out a message about a new subject/topic:
- Choose relevant and descriptive (and concise) names for Topics.
- Most of the time our messages are and should be public (to all celebrants). However, if it’s a ‘private’ conversation don’t simply ‘reply’ to the message (every celebrant then gets a copy). Instead do a reply (or create a new email) and then change the email address to be the individual you want to talk with (you’ll find it in the header of the email).
These guidelines will make reading emails and searching through old topics for relevant posts much easier. They will also help us build a more useful and usable resource for us in the future.
Examples of good topic names:
- ‘Hospital contract burials’
- ‘Recording a ceremony’
- ‘Babies and children’s poems’
For example, if you wanted suggestions for poems for a young woman with cancer you could use a topic name like ‘Poem for young woman with cancer’ and people would able to access the replies to this for weeks and months to come. While a topic name like ‘Another new topic’ means that we have to read the content of the email before we know what it’s about.
I hope that this helps explain how we can best use the message system we have. If you have any further questions please get in touch with us.
Getting too many emails?
Rather than receive a separate email for every message, you can receive a DAILY SUMMARY
(or you can choose to stop all emails completely, while still able to go the Google group page to look through what’s been happening)
- Go to http://groups.google.com/group/green-fuse-celebrants
- Click on ‘My Settings’ (top right corner icon – it’s a “head and shoulders” and a cog)
- Choose ‘membership and email settings’
- Choose the option you want:
- Don’t send email updates (you won’t get any more emails at all but can still look through old messages)
- Send daily summaries (click here to see an example or see below)
- Send combined updates (25 messages per email) (click here to see an example or see below)
- Send me an email for every new message (the normal default)
How to search for old topics
This works in a very similar way to a Google search
- Go to the group page http://groups.google.com/group/green-fuse-celebrants
- At the very top of the page you will see a “Search for topics” bar
- Enter what you want to search for and press Return (or Enter)
- You will get a list of matches
Click the drop down arrow in the search bar (just to the left of the magnifying glass) to get more options.
To search for a phrase
If you wanted to search for “still born”, include quotes round it. Otherwise you’d get results for “still born” as well as for just “still” and just “born”.
To open a number of messages
Either – click on first, read it, press the Back button, click on next etc.
OR – right-click the first, choose “Open Link in New Tab” (or similar), do the same with next etc. – and then when you are ready look through all the open tabs.